[RFCI-Discuss] domains without MX record

Alan Brown rfci-discuss@lists.megacity.org
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:38:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> Yes, but not because there's no MX record.
> AFAIK there's nothing wrong with that, if someone can prove me wrong
> please do.  I could also use some support for the statement that it
> is OK for a host without MX record to receive mail.

It is.

MX records are used to direct mail to a host other than the IP in the A
record.

Ie: If ther are MX records, they will be used in preference to A
records. If there is no MX, then the A record will be used.

Very old MTAs predating MX (Sendmail 4.*) will attempt to deliver to the
A record anyway.

AB